Saturday 28 December 2013

Preparations for the road trip to Wemindji on Jan. 3, 2014

It's Saturday, December 28th and I'm sitting at home nursing a cold/flu.  Aidan has just walked me through creating my first blog.  I hope to record my experiences while up in Wemindji as a grade 2 substitute teacher.  Not only will I be bunking with Aidan for the duration but she is also my mentor and go-to person.  She is a qualified teacher with experience and I am green but eager. 

Four weeks ago my 7 year relationship with SickKids Hospital ended due to "downsizing" and I was liberated from my desk job. I have been thinking of making a change for some time, " Be careful what you ask for"!  I appreciate the time I spent in my former life and have summoned the courage to reinvent myself when other people are planning their golden years I feel like a kid again. 

The reason I'm heading up to Wemindji is now apparent.  Call it fate but I feel this was meant to be.  I've never hidden my interest in education and children and even took several Early childhood education courses at the local college in the evenings when my kids were younger with the idea of  becoming a teaching assistant.  Circumstances changed forcing me in a different direction but here I am again, full circle.  I've been entrusted with these little kiddies to help them learn while their teacher Stacey recovers from surgery.  Aidan has assured me that I only have to read the lesson plans carefully prepared by Stacey and keep the children focused and on task (get super organized show them who's in charge - that's going to be interesting but I believe quite reasonable).

The hard part of any change is leaving what's familiar; leaving my house for 4 months, leaving my wonderful family and very special friends and access to movies, restaurants, shops, parks etc. for the very remote community on James Bay in Quebec in the middle of winter.   In anticipation of the frigid conditions I am now the proud owner of two pairs of long underwear, Sorel boots, balaclava (makes me look very threatening), an MP3 player, new cell phone (my usual cell phone is with Rogers and there aren't any Rogers towers up there), several warm sweaters and extra warm socks.  I'm stocked with books, candles, my wonderful yoga cushion to sit and meditate on (thank you Janice sweetheart), various programs to help me keep my sanity and serenity away from all my wise and inspirational friends.

Interestingly, several of my friends have very similar experiences some were even teachers in remote native communities and have generously given me books and other materials to take with me.  People are amazing.  I must say, I'm touched by the support I've received, such wonderful people in my orbit.

Oh also have to pack for my dog Beau too and that includes several warm coats, booties, wax for his paws, dog biscuits, toys, bed and cage.  He is used to twice daily walks in cool weather but up there he will be facing minus 22 to 40 degree temperatures and might not be too happy going for his constitutionals. He has to come with me as he's my little buddy.

This adventure signifies growth for me.  I am going to do something completely out of character and am looking forward to it.  Life long learning is more than watching the discovery channel right?  When I come back to Oakville at the end of April I will know a couple of things about myself.  I will know that I have the courage to change my life and I will know if teaching is something I'm interested in or not.  I hope to leave a positive footprint there.  Wemindji is my continuing education program and I am grateful for this immense opportunity.  Over for now!

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Your approach to this adventure is inspirational. I admire your pluck!
    Safe journey and keep these posts coming.
    Karen Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited for your new journey... and I'm glad that you will be bringing us along through this blog.... Stay warm... we both know how much I dislike the cold.... I'd be wearing both of the long underware at the same time underneath my clothes..lol Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete